Each year, Park County Libraries celebrate the summer season with a Summer Reading Program. The purpose of these programs is to encourage and motivate children, teens, and adults to experience the joy of reading and expand their language skills. The theme for this year is Oceans of Possibilities. Each of our three library branches run their programs a bit differently based on community interest and needs. Scroll down the page to explore what each library has planned for their Summer Reading Program for 2022.
The Cody Library focuses its Summer Reading around the idea that “KINDNESS ROCKS”. Each year it chooses two community kindnesses to receive funds that are donated to the Library for the program. Readers of all ages earn tickets to vote on which portion of the funds goes to each kindness project. The two kindness projects for 2022 are Baby Daniel Wenck and Cody Pardners.
- Sign-up at the library any time starting May 31st and receive a folder with calendar + surprises. *PLEASE BRING YOUR FOLDER WITH YOU EVERY TIME YOU COME!*
- Every day you read (or listen) you earn a ticket. Some days you’ll read more than others; try to read about 20 minutes per day.
- Non-reading activities (on the back of the calendar) should be done at home & earn one ticket each.
- Tickets are used to support local kindnesses!
- Plus, for every 5 tickets you earn, you’ll get a chance to win a weekly raffle prize!
- LAST DAY TO GET TICKETS IS SATURDAY, JULY 30TH!!!
KINDNESS CELEBRATION PICNIC
Friday, August 5th
Bring your lunch between 11:00 & 1:00
- Balloon Animals
- Live Music
- Free Books
KINDNESS CHECKS PRESENTED AT NOON!
Summer Reading in the Teen Room is for students grades 6th -12th. With some exceptions when reasonable.
Patrons can sign up for Summer Reading 2022 by coming to the Cody Library Teen Room or by clicking this link: https://forms.office.com/r/T6KVsKxVPz -Complete the Microsoft form and submit.
After they sign-up, they must come to the Teen Room in-person to receive their June and July Calendars and their BINGO card. For each bingo completed they earn 5 tickets. (They can have a second BINGO card if they complete the first one.) Teens will also earn two tickets for attending a library activity. Tickets can be placed into the 6 prize basket cans or in the two kindness cans in the Teen Room.
Here is a list of the Teen Library events coming up this summer:
- Arts and Crafts on Tuesdays – 2:00-3:30. Please sign up.
- Book Club on Thursdays – 3:00-4:00. Please sign up.
- Stop Motion Filming – June 15, 16, 7th 1:00-3:00. Limited space and supplies. Please sign up.
- Jaws – After hours movie – June 17th 8:00-10:00
- 20,00 Leagues under the Sea – Teen Room – July 6th – 2:00-4:00
- Learn to crochet a “Worry Worm” – July 8th – 2:00-4:00
- Finding Nemo Movie – After hours movie – July 15th – 8:30-10:00
- Fun Picnic – July 13 – 12:00
Cody adult summer reading will award a kindness ticket for every 100 minutes read. All throughout summer we will hand out bookmarks that have five bubbles and a kindness ticket on the bottom. Each bubble stands for 20 minutes of reading, and once all 5 bubbles are filled in then Cody patrons can submit their ticket.
There will also be seven fishbowls full of paper slips with titles on them, one for each genre:
If a patron reads a book from this fishbowl, they will write their name and phone number on the slip and then stick it in a larger empty fish tank. Gradually, the fish tank will fill with colorful paper slips throughout the summer. Prize winners will be pulled from the fish tank at the end of the summer.
Starting June 1st, register in-person at the Powell Library or at: (link coming soon!). Choose to log reading either through the free Beanstack app or on paper. After you register, pick up your reading tickets and paper log (or kid’s calendar) at the library.
Babies under 3 years old:
• Early literacy activities to complete with parent
• Show your activities page for a free bath toy in June and a free book in July.
Preschool – Adult
• Earn tickets two ways:
- Earn one ticket per day for reading a book at least 20 minutes. Track your reading on the paper calendar or log, or on the Beanstack app.
- Earn one ticket each time you attend a library program or visit the Homesteader Museum.
• Enter tickets for a chance to win a prize. Pick up and enter tickets at the library. The last day to enter tickets is Saturday, July 30.
• Preschool—YA: Spin the wheel weekly beginning June 13 by showing your reading calendar or log. The last day to spin the wheel is Saturday, July 30.
• Help with the mystery mosaic at the library!
• How much weight can we read in books? Weigh your books when you check out to be
added to the grand total!
At the Meeteetse Library, Summer Reading sign-ups begin May 31st. Regular programs begin the week of June 6th and will include:
- Mondays at 10:00 a.m. – Stories & Activities for Elementary
- Fridays at 10:00 a.m. – Stories & Activities for Toddlers
Each time you bring back a book, you get a chance to spin the prize wheel. There will also be a “Kids vs. Adults” Contest to see who can read the most books!
Stop by and enjoy a sticker mosaic puzzle and some ocean-themed puzzles that will be out for everyone to work on.
Meeteetse Library is working on solidifying plans for a “Read for a Cause” project. Information will be shared about that soon.
Summer Reading will end on July 21 with an Outdoor Party.
Adults will have the option of participating through Beanstack or in-person, and they will have the option of counting books or completing challenges for prizes. More information about the adult program will be coming soon, so stay tuned!